Education and Public Awareness
AGIR offers trainings to LGBTQIA+ organisations, immigrant-serving organisations, and any organisation or group working with LGBTQ+ migrants and refugees. The purpose of all our Education and Public awareness work is to change the systemic practices that exclude, harm or result in the unjust treatment towards LGBTQ+ migrant and refugees.
AGIR offers trainings to LGBTQ+ organisations, immigrant-serving organisations, and any organisation or group working with LGBTQ+ migrants and refugees.
All of our trainings are adaptable to the needs of the organisation. We specify our examples to the sector or specialisation of the organisation.
“Supporting LGBTQ+ migrants and refugees in your work”
This 2 hour training covers:
- Understand key concepts related to gender and sexual orientation
- Understand how these key concepts work in the context of LGBTQ+ migrants
- Understand how to integrate inclusive practices for LGBTQ+ migrants into your work (including scenarios)
“By-and-for LGBTQ+ migrant organising and solidarity”
This 90 minute workshop covers:
- Our practices to being by-and-for LGBTQ+ migrants
- Challenges to continuing this approach
- How these practices can be integrated in a solidarity approach in other organisations – discussion
AGIR also offers special presentations for organisations, groups, classrooms (Universities, CEGEPs, High Schools) according to our capacity.
Previous Topics include:
- Introduction to LGBTQ+ migrant issues for youth
- The basics of migration
- Safer/Braver Spaces, Anti-Oppressive Practices
- Supporting LGBTQ+ migrant survivors of sexual violence
AGIR defends the rights and interests of LGBTQIA+ migrants through public awareness raising, notably the Trans-migrant Campaign, and continued collaboration with other organisations (Center for Gender Advocacy, ASTTEQ) to defend the rights of Trans migrants. In addition, as a member of several networks and coalitions, this allows us to contribute to the protection of LGBTQIA+ migrant rights.